Far East Restaurant, London

Thursday, February 18, 2010 at 11:46 PM
The following day I was in London, we went to Chinatown for lunch. After walking around for ten minutes looking for a decent eatery, we decided to go to this humble little shop which is much smaller compared to you average Chinese restaurants there. Honestly, the picture below was what attracted us in the first place. Not forgetting the cheap prices too (at least for London standard).

The Crown Prince visited in year 2007

  Cosy little shop


I love my soy milk (£2.50) which surprisingly came in a bowl. Maybe this is the traditional way to serve it. You add your own preferred amount of sugar into the drink. As for me, I like to drink it the usual way without any sugar added (this applies to tea as well). And it tasted just as good. I can really taste the natural sweetness of the soybeans. 

Lemon tea with honey (£1.50). It was exceptionally sour according to my friend.


This was what I ordered. A plate of Yang Chow Fried Rice for only £3.50. I doubt you will find prices cheaper than this in the heart of London. Despite its low prices, this was absolutely good! It was a plate of wok-hei laden, fresh prawns and char-siew bits of goodness. Pure bliss. Okay, in case you don't know, I'm a fan of fried rice. I love all kinds of fried rice. Japanese, Korean, Chinese, you name it, I love it. Not healthy? It's not like I eat it everyday.

Vivian's Chicken Noodles in Soup (£3.50). Her verdict: Mediocre

Erh Jhen's Wanton Noodles in Soup (£3.50). So-so only.

Har Kau or Prawn Dumplings (£4 for 4 pieces)

I found the Har Kau expensive because it tasted quite plain. So far, I can't find any dumplings in the UK with juice bursting out of it when you have a bite. I guess I know the explanation behind all the cheap prices in this restaurant. This is only the bakery part of the restaurant which operates throughout the day. It is meant to be a small shop which serves light snacks only and its main expertise is soy bean curd. While having our lunch, I overheard the founder who is an old man already talking to a customer saying that the shop sells fresh, daily-made soy bean curd in the past 47 years. They also serve porridge and some HK pastries. Service was prompt and the staff were attentive and friendly.

All kinds of fried snacks. My mum would love this place. =)

Our lunch was £18.50 in total. Definitely a treasure in Chinatown. Customers come in a constant flow. Most of them come here for the takeaway snacks. It was not overcrowded even on a Saturday afternoon. A good place to spend your (okay, mine as well) lazy, unproductive weekend afternoons. Would come back for more for restaurant section around dinner time. Surprise me.





Far East Restaurant 
13 Gerrard Street,
London, W1.
Tel No: 02074376148
Opening Times:
Bakery 9.30am-7pm
Restaurant 6pm-5am

1 Responses to Far East Restaurant, London

  1. K Says:

    I have no idea what's wrong with the box. But I think you can comment now, Mr. Wee.

Post a Comment

AsterRuby | Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com